Saturday, April 21, 2007

Journal 3

Summary

The article entitled “Better education through architecture” was written by Professor Mohamad Tajuddin Mohamad Rasdi, who happened to be a lecturer of UTM. He gave his opinions on the layout of the government-funded schools that are not safe for students, the buildings that look like factories, the lack of space in classes, and the not-so-inviting atmosphere at the library. He also suggested building shopping malls and a bus terminal in universities. Overall, this article shows the danger and the disadvantages of the present layout of government-funded schools.


Reflection

I was attracted to the title of the article “Better education through architecture” from the beginning. To me, the title has been cleared enough to give me at least the gist of the article. And I agree with Professor Dr. Mohamad Tajuddin’s words mostly regarding this matter except his opinion on the government-funded primary and secondary level schools that look like factories. In my opinion on the other hand, the government-funded schools are prisons. The students that attend these schools can be compared to birds that are locked in cages. Since the schools are built like prisons, it is no wonder if there have been many truancy cases happening nowadays. If the school’s atmosphere itself isn’t welcoming at all, how can you expect these students to enjoy their school years? More often than not, when the problem is being brought up by someone, usually the authorities especially the elderly teachers would repeat the saying “when there’s a will, there’s a way” over and over again. Yes, the saying is undoubtedly correct. But when you are forcing those “stubborn students” or “the students who hate schools” to gain knowledge, or in a simpler form, to learn in such environment; they definitely would skip school or skive off lessons. However, if the schools’ buildings are colourful, the classes are spacious, the libraries are full of interesting and the latest materials; there is a possibility for the “stubborn students” to attend classes. That is one problem. Another matter that should be given concerns from everybody is the laboratories. I used to dislike my school’s science labs as the lighting was too dimmed; the stool gave a sharp pain on my bones; and there was barely air-flow in the labs despite the fact that I actually enjoyed science subjects back in school. However, when it came to sitting on that harden stool, I felt like skiving off that very lesson. I also agree with Professor’s words on the danger of the present layout of schools that don’t slot in bus layout and car parking areas. Even if there is, still it only consists of sign that says ‘bus stop’. Not to be rude or anything but Malaysian drivers are mostly reckless- they care less about sign boards, traffic lights and etc. So by having a simple ‘bus stop’ sign won’t just do any difference. Therefore, if bus stops and car parks are included within the school area, I’m positively sure that there will be a decrease number of fatalities accidents around the school areas. Another matter that I would like to bring up is the number of steps, as in staircase, that we, the students have to climb to go to classes and, or to go to bed (in case of hostels). I know that it is good to keep our body in a good condition, but to be all-drenched of sweats before starting classes is impeccably impossible. Students won’t feel comfortable in that smelly attire; they would lose focus and what they would do is to wish the class to end at that exact moment. One more issue that may sound impractical to most people is his opinion on building shopping malls in universities. Once again, I agree 100% with his opinion. If his plan came true, I’m sure that there will be fewer accidents because students can even walk to the mall if it is situated nearby, but if it is a little further away from the college and hostels, I’m sure the university would solve the problem by providing busses to get there. Hence, students’ time, and energy consume would be saved. In a nutshell, architecture does play a crucial role of providing a safe and welcoming environment in producing excellent students. After all, healthy people mirrors healthy environment.


Purpose: To persuade the authorities to build schools using better designs that consider the students’ safety, and the teachers, students and staffs’ comfort.

Tone : Critical.

Bias : Bias against the designs and layout of the present government-funded primary and secondary schools.


Extras:


Metaphor:

1. Robot citizens-People that behave like robots.

2. stop sending our children to factories.- factories mean schools that resemble
factories.


The summary and reflection are based on the article "Better education through architecture" by Professor Mohamad Tajuddin Mohamad Rasdi.

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2007/3/18/lifeliving/16990917&sec=lifeliving

1 comment:

Izaham Shah Ismail said...

Excellent. I think the Professor is from UTM not UiTM. Some building designs in Malaysia are not people friendly. Some are more concern with aesthetics but no practical considerations and vice-versa.